Jurassic Park games is an action game developed by BlueSky Software and published by Sega for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis in 1993. With the objective of the player is to reach the end of each level, using items placed at fixed locations. In other words, players try to collect all health and weapons along the way to destroy the enemy to reach the end of the level.
Entering the game, you can choose one of the two characters: Paleontologist Dr. Alan Grant, or a Velociraptor. Each player is given 3 lives when one is lost, the player restarts at the beginning of the level.
Before playing, let's explore each character in detail below:
- Alan Grant character (Grant): He is the default character and can be switched to the Raptor using the 'Player' option on the game's main menu.
This character's goal is to navigate through 7 areas of Isla Nublar and make it safely to the Visitors Center to escape via helicopter.
On the way, he must contend with the various dinosaurs that roam the island, now free of their enclosures.
This character's series of levels leads you through locales such as a power plant, a river (where you pilot a motorboat), and the interior of an active volcano. Grant's finale sees you reaching the visitor's center and escaping the island via helicopter.
Grant can use various weapons, including a tranquilizer gun, a stun gun, flash grenades, gas grenades, and a rocket launcher. All of these items require ammunition refills which are scattered throughout the island, sometimes in hard-to-reach places.
Grant's recovery item is a first-aid kit, a few of which occur in each level.
- Velociraptor (Raptor): This Velociraptor character can jump higher than Grant, and run much faster, although it can only attack from close-range using its teeth and claws. This character's goal is to eliminate the Jurassic Park security guards, and corner Grant at the Visitors Center.
This character Raptor plays for only five levels, however. Along the way, stray dinosaurs can be bothersome for the Raptor, who can knock them out. The enemy guards wield grenades and missiles but can be easily overpowered by the Raptor, although the final level increases the guards' presence and temperament.
Completing the game by the player have successfully escaped the island by concealing yourself in a crate that is loaded into a cargo ship.
After the successful sales of the Genesis version, BlueSky released a sequel to Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition.
The Raptor's health item is generic 'meat', although it has the ability to eat a 'compy' to refill its health as well.
The game has 3 that selectable difficulty levels:
- Medium mode: This is the default neutral setting.
- Hard mode: There is much damage taken from enemies, the player move faster and attack frequently.
- Easy mode: In this mode, makes for less troublesome foes from which relatively little damage is taken.
Passwords are displayed in between levels, allowing the player to continue from a specific level rather than from the beginning. A Password option is displayed in the game's main menu. However, a game over will reset the game entirely.